Subject: [Leica] Sell your Instagram photo--for $90,000
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 11:17:44 +0000

Prince is at it again, selling the work of others (and this time it?s not
even ?work?).

That a galleryful of poster-size enlargements of snaps purloined off
Instagram, with fashionably nonsensical and self-consciously whimsical faux
comments added, can be sold out at $90,000 per, is a comment on the, um,
?artist?s? notoriety and a topic that I can?t even think rationally about.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/05/25/a-reminder-that-your-instagram-photos-arent-really-yours-someone-else-can-sell-them-for-90000/?tid=pm_lifestyle_pop_b

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/05/25/a-reminder-that-your-instagram-photos-arent-really-yours-someone-else-can-sell-them-for-90000/?tid=pm_lifestyle_pop_b>

howard

This may be of interest to some. One of the photographers whose work
was used without permission is a very talented Australian, Peter
Coulson. I have spent some time with Peter over last 4 years, being
mentored in group workshops. His work is first rate (currently running
some workshops in Chicago, I think). He is my biggest inspiration for
fashion and beauty photography.
Peter's image stolen by Prince was uploaded to Instagram by the model
(Alice Kelson)not Peter. Both are furious at this use and neither was
even asked for permission. Peter's credits were removed from the image
as well, making very clear that Prince was aware he had no permission.
Peter asked his FB friends to rate the gallery involved this time. You
can see those results for yourself if you want to look.

Unrelated to Peter's work, another stolen image came from the Suicide
Girls website and their response was to advertise the same image for
sale for $90.