Subject: [Leica] Phase One XF medium format camera system
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 20:14:56 -0400

A new standard in photography is being hyped with this new major upgrade to
the whole medium format PhaseOne system the whole thing seemingly totally re
designed and the top ended of three cameras having a CMOS but the lower two
sticking with a more traditional for medium format CCD.
XF IQ3 80MP - $48,990 / ?38,990 CMOS
XF IQ3 60MP - $41,990 / ?33,990 CCD
XF IQ3 50MP - $40,990 / ?31,990 CCD

Is the top end one the lower ones not that much cheaper.

What really caught me is the way the Schneider-Kreuznach leaf shutter lenses
are being described or hyped.
They are rated at  100MP. Not line pairs but MP's which are megapixels. So
glass now is now rated now by its real resolution (line pairs), contrast or
MTF charts but on what size digital file they can support.
The upshot one may assume you know when you spend tens of thousands on a new
lens you wont be buying a camera afterwards which resolves higher than your
lens thus putting a damper on  the buying of the camera for a big part.
To me this is a milestone but I'm ready for someone here to tell me its been
going on for years. This is the first I've noticed.

I do think I've been using for most of my digital experience over the past
dozen years glass that resolved higher than my camera bodies. And lived.
But I've not been in a medium format mindset. Or do set. But instead I've
been going through the burgeoning beginnings of fairly serious digital
photography. Not the pie in the shy over the top end.

Lenses Ready for 100MP

--
Mark William Rabiner
Photographer