Subject: [Leica] IMG: High Priestess Costume from the Opera "Aida"
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 16:54:30 -0700

"Modern" stagings in Europe have gone way beyond anything we usually see in
the U.S.  Many opera stage directors appear to think that their "concept"
is far more important than the composer, the music, the librettist, the
story, the singers, the audience, comprehension, or stylistic consistency.
Their defenders say that they are injecting new life and current relevance
into a tired art form. Their detractors say they are aggrandizing
themselves at the expense of the composer, the music... &etc. Read some of
the German press (especially) for some of the fun and games.  There is even
a FaceBook group dedicated to combating these productions.  An old friend
of mine who's a singer in Germany often quotes it.
<
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Against-Modern-Opera-Productions/146292958770872

Me, I like a good modern production if it is faithful to the essence and
spirit of the original.  I don't mind stretching literalism, because opera
was hardly ever completely literal.  BUT when a director says, in effect,
"I'm a ****ing genius, so I can do ****ing anything I want, and if you
don't like it, you're a ****ing mental defective"--well then, I may be
inclined to inquire about the Emperor's state of dress.

Back to Jay's pictures:  If anyplace is a metaphor for how the
sensibilities of various eras can coexist and synergize, it is the Palais
Garnier. The building was built in the late 19th century, but now combines
Neo-Baroque architecture with an auditorium ceiling mural by Marc Chagall
(who was essentially a Surrealist, but got away with not calling himself
one because he used dreamy elements from Jewish folklore).