Subject: [Leica] IMG: Homeless in the Subway
From: gerry.walden at icloud.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 08:39:51 +0100

Tina

Your image and comments are interesting. I am half way through a project on
food banks here, which are a relatively new need in the UK caused primarily
by a radical change in political climate. The thing which is becoming
obvious is that the people using them are people which until maybe 2 years
ago were perfectly able to manage on their incomes, but with housing prices
rocketing skywards and a severe tightening of the lending markets and a
severe change in social support leaving people without incomes for weeks on
end there is an ever-increasing desperation in working class groups. Many
are just about hanging on by their fingertips, thanks often to the charities
which are helping them and to the understanding of many social-housing
providers. We are now in a situation where rented accommodation is beyond
the financial reach of many, but loans for home purchase are very, very
tightly controlled now. May I suggest that is what you are seeing on the
streets of cities like New York, but one step further down the line.

Keep taking the pictures, they will one day be our social history.

Gerry

Gerry Walden
023 8046 3076