Subject: [Leica] Can anyone share hard water, high mineral content darkroom experience?
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 14:02:07 -0500

On Jun 23, 2015, at 12:54 PM, Lew Schwartz wrote:

> I've never worked in these conditions. We're drawing from our own well,
> probably high calcium & iron in water. I mix my own developers, but have a
> great source of distilled H20. (Run off from the dehumidifier.) My main
> concern is with washing & the fixer. I got hold of some old style calgon.
> How much would I mix in? I plan to wash negs in the ion filtered well water
> with a final soak in the pure H2O plus wetting agent.
>
> I haven't tried any of this yet, but soon ....
>
> Comments? Ideas?

I worked for 25 years with very hard, untreated water, high in minerals,
calcium and iron, in my darkroom.

I used commercially distilled water to mix all chemistry.
I used double filtration for wash water;
though always did a final distilled water soak, rinse, soak, rinse, drop of
photoflo in final rinse.

Never let the negatives or prints dry with even filtered hard water on them.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog