Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 23/6/2015: Skt. Hans Aften in my hometown
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 23:01:14 +0100

That's a lot of Danish people, and looks like fun, Nathan!

This reminds me of the ancient festival of Lughnasa which is still spottily
celebrated in Ireland. You may have heard of "Dancing at Lughnasa" the Brian
Friel play and film, but then again you may not have. Here's a link to the
festival https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lughnasadh. It's based on a pagan
harvest festival now christianised, and principally survives as a pilgrimage
up and down Croagh Patrick mountain in Co. Mayo in the west of Ireland.

Croagh Patrick is a wonderful mountain - next door to the US (a short 3,000
miles swim across the Atlantic) - with a fantastic view down into Clew bay
with its 365 islands. One of these islands was bought by John Lennon of the
Beatles who also apparently thought that the view was sublime, although his
brain might have been a bit clouded at the time: it was the sixties after
all.

I organised a foot race up and down Croagh Patrick (locally known as the
Reek) way back and met a storm of local protest. Amazingly, they thought
that I'd be more or less disturbing the spirit of St. Patrick and the
ancient god of darkness Crom Dubh. I got the one of the local priests - a
fellow runner - on board, squashed the opposition, and we moved into the
20th century.

Anyway, if anyone is visiting Ireland at any stage, it's worth a look.

Douglas