Subject: [Leica] Alpa field cameras
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 08:57:11 -0700

Hi Greg,

Per George's email, I'm putting this back on the LUG: If any Luggers
object, we can take it off list again.
I primarily shoot landscape, just so you know where I'm coming from. I use
my Leica primarily as my point and shoot for my family, people and walking
around camera. That is slowly evolving to use as my landscape tool for it's
lightness on longer walks vs the Alpa setup.

If you're set on Alpa and based on your short list below, you need to make
decisions, as you state, in two areas. What Alpa components will serve you
well and what medium format digital back is best for you.
A big question is whether you want shift and rise/fall in the same body. If
you do, you are limited to two bodies: the Alpa 12 MAX, which I have, or
the Alpa 12 XY, which is more precise in it's movements. That's it... They
are both, IMO, way too large to hand hold, though they do make grips for
them and, with the right back, could provide an iPhone as a viewfinder (or
the optical viewfinder with framing ability, but no focus ability).

On the other end of the spectrum are the Alpa TC (Travel Camera) and the
Alpa STC (Travel Camera with stitching ability). These are far lighter,
with the TC being the lightest. Grips are available and, if you get a
digital back that requires waking up prior to firing your shutter, special
Alpa one-push releases are available.

Then there is Alpa's focal plane shutter body which is highly programmable,
sweet electronic shutter by Schneider I believe, and really strange.
Probably not usable for street photos at all, but I really don't know too
much about it...

Alpa has now joined up with Phase One to make a pre-configured Alpa Phase
One A series, but it's just an Alpa TC or STC with grip, optical
viewfinder, shutter release and digital back, so something you could
configure.

If I had your needs, I guess I would get the STC. It can be used on it's
normal axis to provide left to right shift, or turned 90 degrees (with the
right brackets, etc) to also work as a rise fall. Just not both at the same
time.

Digital backs are a whole other discussion. If I had unlimited funds, I'd
have a vendor (Digital Transitions in NYC and Capture Integration in
Atlanta). Both are great dealers: Capture Integration probably moves more
product and Digital Transitions does not provide Alpa: you would have to go
to PhotoCare (work with the owner, Jeff Hirsch) for the Alpa.
Lance Schad for DT and Dave Gallagher (owner) for CI will work to make you
a very happy customer.

Regarding digital backs... the choices are almost endless. The newest backs
from Phase One are CMOS and provide phenomenal live view. Phase One's
newest backs, the 3XX series, is built to integrate with their newly
released SLR(XT) which has some phenomenal lenses, but does not do any
rise/fall, but probably best for street photos as it has auto focus.

Regarding lenses, if you are doing rise fall, you want to try to get the
biggest image circle you can. My widest is a 32 Rodenstock, but for yo
perhaps a 50 would do: personal choice. You really can't go wrong, but
remember that all lenses must have the Alpa mount! You have a choice of
three Alpa lens mounts: the LB (long body) that attaches to the body with
no other Alpa components. The Alpa mount for these lenses is 34mm long and
keeps the rear lens element at the proper distance from the sensor. There
is the SB mount in either a SB34 or SB17. Both need a 34mm or 17mm
extension tube between the lens mount and body, respectively. These lenses
allow you to do tilt. I have both, with the SB17 being the only mount
available for the 32 Rodie. So when I need a 34mm extension tube for the
SB34 lenses I have, I just add another 17mm extension tube to the 17mm tilt
(axis) extension. Alpa also makes a 34mm tilt (axis) extension tube if you
only have SB34 lenses.

There are other nuances that you should discuss before you buy: for example
shorter lenses require the extension tube between the lens and the body if
you are going to do any kind of shifting or tilt, so it is lens tilt rather
than back tilt, which are very different. Also consider that the new CMOS
backs provide greater high ISO which translates into faster shutter speeds
for on the street.

Leaf is also a back maker that is now owned by PhaseOne. Great backs
however they lack some of the features of the PhaseOne backs, such as
wireless live-view needed for the iPhone use on the Alpas...

Please ping me with other questions or let me know if you want to talk live
(phone, Skype, FaceTime all available). Enjoy the ride into Dante's
Inferno!!)

Bob
PS : This web site is the best one out there that I know of for getting
more good (and bad) info on these setups. The dealers all monitor it and
contribute often: www.getdpi.com