Subject: [Leica] M
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 11:24:47 -0700

My M (240) arrived Friday. Of course, unpacking a new arrival from Leica is
a great adventure. It will be hard for me to discard all those lovely box
compartments.

Unlike the excellent manual that came with the M9, I think this manual is an
atrocity. I speak as a former professional. In my second year (of ten) at
Apple, I decided to write a manual for a piece of internally-developed
software with a totally incompetent one-page description. Because I had to
use the software, I had to figure out how it worked by trial and error.

Those were the days when managers could be imaginative. My reward for this
manual was three bottles of wine a month for a year. And, I was appointed
editor of the release notes of this department?s product?three releases a
year. The notes grew to some 350 pages.

So I speak from experience when I call the M manual an atrocity. The biggest
fault is a failure to explain clearly the two function of the ?Set? button:
a) to establish a choice among alternatives, and b) to provide a
supplementary menu of stuff that one wants to access quickly, such as ISO or
Exposure Compensation.

Other than that, It is a most lovely camera, a clear improvement over the
M9, and I?m delighted with it.

Herb

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org