Subject: [Leica] Olympus repair update
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 19:16:20 -0700

You may remember the mode dial fell off my wife's OMD E-M10 just 3 weeks out
of warranty.  We sent it in when we got home from our trip, and through a
series of emails and phone conversations they agreed to repair it under
warranty.  That was a good thing, as she really does not like the camera and
did not want to spend either the $150 or $250 (depending on who you talked
to) to have it repaired.

Well, last weekend we went to Seattle to pick it up.  Olympus had it for
about 7 weeks.  It was sent through Glazers.  We got home and she put the
battery and lens on and guess what.  The rear view screen will not show the
live view.  It does in movie mode, but nothing else.  The EVF works fine.
But when you take your eye away, all you see are the leveling guides and a
black screen.  I tried resetting to factory defaults, tried poking that
button alongside the EVF forever to make it switch, but nothing.  Talked to
technical support a bit, and, you guessed it, it is on it's way back to
Olympus.

Now she really hates the camera. A not happy wife is not a good thing.  At
least it will be free.  They just received it today, so hopefully it will
not take another 7 weeks to get it back.

 I have been more impressed by Leica service.  Only had to use it once.
That took only 6 weeks to go to Germany and back for my R8.  And 4 of those
weeks were in customs somewhere.  My Nikon repairs to fix problems with my
D600 and D750 (bad luck of the draw) only took 9 days for each.  That was
impressive.  One of those had to go back for a redo, as they must not have
hooked the microphone back up the first time around.  But all three trips
were 9 days each.

Aram

Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

"The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin himself
would ever have dared dream."   James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (Leowesson) ([Leica] Olympus repair update)