Subject: [Leica] I won a prize!
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 19:01:40 -0400

Peter?

Oh, for heaven?s sake! Where is your house? I?m so envious! If I?d known,
I?d surely have visited. I like the area so much that I just got back from
my second visit to the Abbey. The photo is from 2012, when my wife and I
took an 11-day tour of ?Roman Provence?. And my son and I just spent 16 days
in Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, and France. It was the partial
implementation of a longtime dream vacation for me, to pick up a new BMW in
Munich and then tour Europe, driving wherever the whim takes me. Of course,
ideally my traveling companion would be my wife, and the trip would be a
couple of months, spring into summer or summer into fall, but two weeks of
father-son bonding was a good trial run. I went back to S?nanque both to
show Philip the place and to try to catch the lavender in bloom. When we
were there the first time, it was late May and there were no flowers,
explaining the green color in the photo. Too early for even a hint of
lavender color. This trip happened a month later in the year, but there was
only a disappointing bit of bloom, probably still before the peak. Tell me
the best time to come next year and I?ll meet up if you?re there!

The online reproduction is quite faithful to the original, where the stone
is indeed a bit washed out, as you can see from where I posted it in the
Gallery:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/France/
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/France/>

I took it with my favorite travel-light camera, the Sony NEX-7. I?m not sure
that any camera would have done better without histogram peeping and manual
exposure compensation, since the dynamic range extended from the shadow side
of trees on the left to pale stone facing the noon sun on the right,
completely filling the histogram. Certainly, I have been mightily impressed
by the capabilities of the NEX-7, even with the kit zoom, and will be first
in line to get its full-frame, curved-sensor, 50-MPx successor (speculation
mine!) Other photos in the album were made with the M9.

?howard

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] I won a prize!)
Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] I won a prize!)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] I won a prize!)