Subject: [Leica] IMG: My friend the clarinetist
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 11:32:19 -0500

Thanks, Peter.  Having dabbled with the saxophones, clarinet, oboe and
bassoon in my brief 9-yr career, I know about the tuning requirements,
but, since this spanned the period from 1942-1951, I was limited by 1)
Funds and 2) the shortages of the war years.  My frivolous spending was
usually for a mouthpiece or better reeds.

I realize that the cut and lay of a mouthpiece and the strength of a
reed can make a big difference in the ease of playing and the tone of a
saxophone or clarinet.  Likewise, oboe reeds, in a small town setting,
are hard to come by.  I have trimmed and adjusted reeds many times.

The lengthy corked necks on saxophones make tuning rather easy, though
my favorite was the Conn alto with the tuning adjustment on the neck.  I
finally got to use one that belonged to the ROTC band.

What I did not know is that, apparently, the clarinet barrels can be had
in different lengths.  That would have been handy, but totally unknown
in my day.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA