Subject: [Leica] M9 failure -- anyone else have this experience?
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 13:13:54 -0700

When I read about a failure mode like this I think about two things: heat
and a loose connection somewhere.

Was your M9 being heavily used and perhaps put down in the field of a hot
spot-light? Did you move it somewhere cool or cooler so the whole body could
cool down and then it would start working again.

The possibility of a loose connection is there but you?d have to ask if the
camera was subject to a short, sharp shock or something although why it
would come back is another issue.

Did you happen to pop the battery out as your trouble-shot the problem? I
can imagine being all ready to go and having your camera suddenly fail
wouldn?t lead to a thoughtful point by point bit of troubleshooting. But I?d
think that popping out the battery, turning the camera ON and maybe hitting
the shutter to deplete any energy that might be stored in the system and
then returning the battery and restarting would have been what I?d have done
fairly quickly. That and doing a ?bounce test? by throwing the damned thing
on the concrete floor a few times. Oh, wait, I?d NEVER do that nor even
think it.

I?d definitely send it to Leica. This kind of betrayal suggests an
intervention as soon as possible.

Adam