Subject: [Leica] Backup hardware: USB3 HDD
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 23:17:59 -0400

People on these LUG backup conversations seldom mention the idea that as
long as your backups are not too far apart if one of them turns out to be
corrupted you've still got the one before that so its not like you've lost
everything.  You've only lost your more current stuff. And if you've double
backed up then you've not even lost that.
I'm just saying the world doesn't end if every drive you've ever backed up
to does not last forever. As you know that's not going to happen anyway and
it doesn't have to.

On 9/27/15 4:52 PM, "Adam Bridge" <abridge683 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Frank. Backups require a variety of solutions. Having a
> ?direct
> connect? hard drive is a fundamental part of that solution. Having an
> off-site
> backup is another. There are a variety of solutions for this as well. I?ve
> been using arq software to backup my images to Amazon?s ?Glacier? storage
> although I could have used any of the Amazon S3 storage tiers as well.
> Depends
> on how quickly you want to be able to restore. Since I?m unlikely to need
> download on a moment by moment basis Glacier, which uses off-line storage,
> is
> a reasonable bet. It seems reasonably affordable. Amazon knows a lot about
> secure storage solutions and they won?t use my images to sell me ads or
> market
> me.

Virtually all my images live on a large Promise Pegasus Thunderbolt 2
> external RAID. I back that up to a Drobo. This doesn?t entirely solve the
> image integrity issue, however. I?d like to have a check-sum to verify each
> image against and a more rigorous file system than Mac OS X currently
> employes. I?m hoping that in the future Apple will create a file system
> built
> around data integrity like ZFS. But this seems unlikely to me as Apple
> focuses
> more and more on iOS products. I suppose I could build a Linux box with ZFS
> but I?m beyond the place where that seems interesting to me and it doesn?t
> solve the problem on the Mac. And I don?t do Windows.

If we?re going to keep
> terabytes of data around we have to care about keeping it reliable. It?s
> just
> a different part of the game. I wish the hardware and OS guys would really
> focus on this but as a selling point to consumers it isn?t important.

Adam