Subject: [Leica] Leica lenses on other cameras
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 22:28:02 -0700

The advantage of the Fuji is that the camera only uses the central part of
the optics, making your good optics even appear better... And the smearing
at the periphery of the lens, is significantly reduced..... The disadvantage
is that your 28 has the FOV of a 42mm lens.....  Wides are tough....
The advantage of a FF camera ( A7 and variants) is that your 28 IS a 28 in
field of view.  The disadvantage is that the wider angle lenses ( said to be
.... 28mm and less, but I have heard 35 or less, and I have heard 24 and
less.. take your pick) have angles for the light rays that cause distortion
through the sensor... smearing, vignetting. Etc....

I have both and A7 ( original) and Fuji (XE-1) cameras.

The disadvantage of both is when focusing, you are focusing at working
aperture.... say F11, ... which means critically accurate  focusing is
nearly impossible. There is too much DOF.
While many use the focus peaking function, I found it rather unsuitable.  I
use the cameras as if they had ground glass ( remember those?) in them, and
shut OFF focus peaking.  I also use the magnified view ( I think it is 10x,
but it might be 1:1, I am not sure) AND I keep my apertures pretty wide
open... this makes focusing pretty simple and my hit rate is high.  WRT to
this last comment, the XT-1 has the function of having a dual view.... full
view of the frame AND a different area which is your focusing spot... which
allows you to focus in magnified view and see the entire FOV at the same
time....  A real winner in my opinion.....

See, there really is no one BEST solution..... yet.  And given the
constraints of your M lenses, there will never be a really good solution.

The Leica announcement on Oct 20 may prove worth waiting for..... And, if
you like that solution, it will give you an additional 2 weeks to save up
your pennies for purchase of an entirely new system.....   Presumably priced
about the same as a small house is worth....

YMMV

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net