Subject: [Leica] Leica lenses on other cameras
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 14:44:00 -0400

 I have used Leica lenses on other cameras for many years. Most recently on
an Olympus EPL 1 digital camera. The smaller sensor has both advantages and
disadvantages. The most obvious disadvantage is that the focal length is
doubled, i.e. a 35 mm lens covers the field of a 70 mm lens on a standard
Leica camera, a 50 mm lens becomes a 100 mm lens. Paradoxically an advantage
is that the smaller sensor means that the ?sweet? center of the lens is
utilized eliminating the fuzzy corners. This often makes old Leica lenses
perform as well as the newer ones. Focusing the digital camera with an eye
level electronic viewfinder is dead easy although you must manually stop
down to the exposure aperture. Shades of the1960s. Dumb converters are
available for most cameras for about $20 through eBay. I have rekindled a
love affair with an old 50 mm Canon f1.2. On my digital camera it now works
as very high speed short telephoto. All the low resolution corners of the
frame are left out. Pictures of the camera with various lenses attached are
in the gallery. Who needs a Noctilux?
Larry Z