Subject: [Leica] Re. Babbage Difference Engine
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:25:54 -0400

 Herbert Kramer?s photos of the Babbage Difference Engine are revealing. To
modern computer nerds it is the Holy Grail of technology, often discussed
but never seen. As a young college student I used to walk by a building on
campus that emitted sounds like a threshing machine. One day I wandered in
and found that it was the home of the Aiken Mark 1 computer, a 30 foot long
electro mechanical device that was like a Frieden Calculating machine on
steroids. The noise was the sound of thousands of relays opening and
closing. It took 3 seconds to add a pair of numbers, about 16 seconds to
divide them. Dr. Aiken started work on it before WW2 to crank out data for
the military. I was shown around the lab by An Wang, a graduate student, who
later invented the core memory and founded Wang computing.The Babbge Enngine
looks like the guts of an old Freiden Calculator instead of a combination of
a Hammond organ and a telephone switchboard. Neither looks like my iPhone at
all.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] Re. Babbage Difference Engine)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Re. Babbage Difference Engine)