Subject: [Leica] Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 13:30:16 -0700

We just got back from our second Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.  We finally got
to see the evening Glowdeo after the weather cancelled three last year and
on this year.  5th time is a charm.

The day starts off with the Dawn Patrol, weather permitting.  Get up at 4:30
to get dressed, eat breakfast and then head out to the balloon launch area
from the campground.  You are treated by the sights and sounds of balloons
getting ready.

View them large if you like

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/Dawn+Patrol+Balloon+Fiesta-6448.
jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/o5s3ecj

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/Dawn+Patrol+Balloon+Fiesta-6470.
jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/q5m92ub

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/Dawn+Patrol+Balloon+Fiesta-.jpg.
html

http://tinyurl.com/pwefsmy

If the weather holds, then just before the sun rises, there is the mass
ascension.  Under the watchful eye of the field umpires, the balloons begin
to inflate and are directed skyward.  The neat thing about this event is
that the spectators are allowed to wander right out on the field amongst the
balloons.  You can watch them lay them out, test their burners, inflate and
finally lift off.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/AM+Ascension+Balloon+Fiesta-6513
.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/ppzwnxe

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/AM+Assention+Balloon+Fiesta-5987
.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/ndo6qol

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/AM+Assention+Balloon+Fiesta-6008
.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/paon7fy

Just mind the umpires when they tell you to move or you might get hit by the
gondola of an ascending balloon.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/AM+Assention+Balloon+Fiesta-6224
.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/q65s5u5

There are over 500 balloons and the launch area is over 61 football fields
in size.  Sometimes they drift over the campground where my father-in-law
decided to sleep in one morning.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/AM+Ascension+Balloon+Fiesta-3683
.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/qxc5tlc

IF the weather is OK, they have competitions where balloonists compete for
prizes like cars and things.  They come back over the field and drop rings
and bean bags at targets.  Then it all shuts down after the balloons are
launched, maybe 11:00.

The Glowdeo starts close to sunset, and if the weather cooperates, hundreds
of balloons inflate, and anchored to the field, they fire their propane
heaters with I am guessing low air, so the flames are yellow, and the
balloons glow.  As I stated above, this event was cancelled my first four
times to see it.  The last evening we were there this time, the weather did
not look promising, again.  Too windy.  But the winds calmed down so that
many of the balloons did put on a show.  And it was really a fun thing,
wandering around through the crowds with the sounds and cheers.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/Glowdeo+Balloon+Fiesta-3576.jpg.
html

http://tinyurl.com/qx7n629

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/Glowdeo+Balloon+Fiesta-6398.jpg.
html

http://tinyurl.com/qg67pur

Then the laser show begins

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/Glowdeo+Balloon+Fiesta-6406.jpg.
html

http://tinyurl.com/o2xhd4d

Followed by an awesome firework display.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/Fireworks+Balloon+Fiesta-6425.jp
g.html

http://tinyurl.com/npnusjl

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/Fireworks+Balloon+Fiesta-6421.jp
g.html

http://tinyurl.com/nwx5ghc

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/a/Fireworks+Balloon+Fiesta-6441.jp
g.html

http://tinyurl.com/okvaex6

Then everyone finds their way home and comes back the next day if they like.

Hope you enjoyed this rather long tour of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.
Hope you can see it yourself one day.

Comments welcome.

Aram

Aram Langhans

(Semi) Retired  Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

"The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin himself
would ever have dared dream."   James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta)
Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta)