Subject: [Leica] (SPAM: ?) Re: BIG new Leica - TINA
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 07:55:20 -0700

The picture they show, on my monitor, is just about full size.  Using that
as a guide, I measured the length of the lens at 125mm.
Quick size specs on the 50 SL Lux is.....
About 86mm max diameter by 125mm long.

The 50 M Lux is 50mm diameter by 55mm long.

Or... more than twice as long and 50% fatter.

In general, lenses without AF motors are a lot less fat than their AF
counterparts.  Motors require space.  Leica lenses were particularly
compact. So maybe the physical size is not as surprising as first
thought....  Presumably the optical design is the same.  There is little
reason that the length of the lens would be so much longer.....

( Back to my theory that BIGGER IS BETTER, and YOU WILL PAY MORE FOR BIGGER,
however I will refrain from Oligarch comments)

Read Erwin Puts writeup on the Otus and Lux for an optical comparison.

Yes, styling is S influenced.  No more curvy beauty as in the R8/9.  Frank (
the other one) had said that it may have been stylized for ease of
manufacture...

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

They look to be going for the Zeiss Otus market? Have you seen the size of
the 50mm Summilux, and it won't be available for a year!

http://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-SL/Lenses/LEICA-SUMMILUX-SL

Very similar styling in the lenses to the S range

john

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] (SPAM: ?) Re: BIG new Leica - TINA)
Message from john at mcmaster.fr (John McMaster) ([Leica] (SPAM: ?) Re: BIG new Leica - TINA)