Subject: [Leica] Re; El Capitan
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 14:44:54 -0400

 It is always difficult to switch from one operating system to another.

I have two laptop computers that I use most frequently. One is a Macbook Pro
running Snow Leopard, the other a new Macbook Air running the latest version
of El Capitan. They are entirely different. Snow Leopard is a traditional
operating system, relatively fast and bomb proof, that lets you access and
tweak most of the settings. If you are familiar with Unix you can configure
it to your hearts content. Most of the photo aps I own will run on it.
Unfortunately few developers now craft software for a half dozen year old
operating system and you are pretty much restricted to legacy stuff.

Mavericks, also on my machine, seems to be Snow Leopard on steroids. It has
several mew features and will accept new software but Apple hardly supports
it anymore.

But then Apple made a philosophical shift in operating system software.
Yosemite seems to be designed for iPad and iPhone users, not people who
actually use computers for real stuff. Many features are locked away from
the users. El Capitan corrects many of Yosemite?s faults but is, in itself,
a restricted system. Very little of your experience with the older systems
will transfer. Photo, the photo cataloging ap is inferior to iPhoto on the
older systems.

If you are buying your first Mac computer you might as well get used to El
Capitan. It has been updated several times and is now version 10.11.1. It
works well on MacAirs and, I presume, the new Macbook. If, on the other
hand, you have a lot of photo software released last year or before,
including Photoshop and Gimp, don?t upgrade to either Yosemite or El
Capitan. Wait until version 12 is released. Remember, if you have enough
memory, Macs will support several operating systems. Just select the one you
want to use on the Disc Startup option in System Preferences.
?
But, of course, YMMV.

Larry Z