Subject: [Leica] The SL
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 22:46:59 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

The Leicaflex (original) used a sloped cam outwardly similar to an M lens'
focussing cam.  The body's axial cam follower (at the top of the mirror box)
read this cam as actual lens aperture (for the non-TTL meter, much like the
Nikon F rabbit ears).  The Leicaflex SL and SL2 use a second sloped cam,
similar to the first but at the bottom of the mirror box, that indicated
aperture relative to full aperture for TTL metering (like auto-indexed
rabbit ears or Nikon's AI tab).  The R cam (R3 onward) a.k.a. 3rd cam used a
rotational cam that indicated both actual aperture and aperture relative to
maximum.  It would be messy to sort these out in an adapter.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
http://doug-herr.fineartamerica.com