Subject: [Leica] MS-Sonnetar 50mm f/1.1 mini-review
From: lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (lluisripollphotography)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 17:00:00 +0100

Hi Dante,

Thank you for review, I?ve discovered some really interesting points about
the Sonnetar, a lens that have tempted but never decided. I have tested one
against my 50mm Summilux V2 (at f 1.1 and f 1.4), I?ve tested too my
Summilux 50 against a Noctilux 1:0 at f 1:0 and 1.4. My tests are not
technical as yours, I?m not very concerned about comparing sharpness, my
approach is about the overall look of each lens and I have to say that I?ve
been not decided for the Sonnetar because I don?t like very much the
?bubbles?  bokeh it gives, I own an old Sonnar Opton and with obvious
differences in quality, the rendition is quite similar. After my tests
comparing my 50 Summilux and Noctilux 1:0 they have in my opinion the same
rendition, of course the Nocti at 1:0 give an extra DOF effect. About the
Summicron 50, I?ve compared Collapsible, Rigid and IV (11819) this one more
sharp but I prefer the smoothness of the oldest ones, the lens I find gives
a different personality is the Cooke Amotal 2? (by Taylor, Taylor and
Hobson), mainly for portraits or persons at short distances ? from 1 or 2
meters to 5.

The Sonnetar has of course great positive aspects, size, weight, prize but I
think that at least for me it would do not a big difference, maybe because I
already have an old Sonnar Opton. In my opinion the Noctilux 1:0 is a
different thing, but also in size, weight and prize, and when I think to it
I realize that the only reason would be to use it at 1:0, if at 1.4 or more
it will be the same, or very close to my Lux.

We would expend a lot of time and joy testing together our 50mm lenses?

Thanks again for your post, if you want take a look, below are the links of
my tests

Cheers
Lluis

My tested pics: