Subject: [Leica] XP-2
From: billcpearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 16:03:05 -0600

Exactly what I poorly expressed a few days ago. At the end of the film era,
minilabs were made that could be installed in any commercial space, garage,
doghouse, etc. without regard to plumbing. Chemicals were mixed, and wash
tanks filled with tap water and it was off to the races. Everything,
washwater included, was used for a certain number of rolls, a number arrived
at by chemical and minilab suppliers and manufacturers as the amount of film
that could be processed in a fixed amount of chemistry and successfully
printed the same day, and the images would remain for a week or so. The
drugstore chains were happy, they didn't need to include a special space in
their stores with plumbing, the manufacturers were happy, they sold a few
more machines before it was too late.

Ironically, the end of this was to be not digital but crazy people. At the
same time that black and white chemistry was deemed far far too dnagerous
for wnyone to use withough a moon suit and therefore was banished from
public schools, the poorly educated workers were terrified of using the
dangerous chemicals in color processing. I know, I know, those of us that
worked in labs or studios with lots of that stuff were smart enough to not
breath in too much of the dust or bathe in bleach. But gone they are,
probably in the bottom of a landfill.