Subject: [Leica] IMG: a world that no longer exists
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 15:10:32 -0500

A beautiful and moving collection and remembrance, Nathan.

I?ve recently been going through my late mother?s photos that she inherited
from her father, Karl Kruecke, who emigrated from Verden an der Aller in
Germany to the U.S. in 1913. Nothing there to compare with the ghosts in
your photos, but one that I was seeing for the first time was of a handsome,
virile young German soldier at leisure in an informal uniform in a yard,
with the inscription on the back, ?Arthur 1942?. I realized this would have
been my mother?s cousin, the son of my grandfather?s brother, also Arthur,
who stayed behind when Karl went off to America. I realized that I was
looking at the ghost of that apocryphal relative of ours whom we talked
about in tragic tones as kids, our ?second cousin who never returned from
the Russian front.? I hope that at his tender age of 20 or so, he was more a
patriotic German than an acolyte of Hitler, as innocent as any German who
joined the Wehrmacht could have been, and in his way also a victim of the
Nazis as well. Whatever, he paid the ultimate price.

?howard