Subject: [Leica] 50 APO Summicron on sale.... Overstock.com
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 13:50:13 -0500

Some informal testing that I did a couple of years ago photographing the
same scene with several cameras whose sensor sizes ranged from 4 x 6 mm to
FF, and their zooms all set to the same actual FL, convinced me that
contemporary sensors fall far short of capturing all the information present
in the optical image projected onto them, at least in the central zones.
Every time I looked at a pair of images on-screen presented at the same
image scale, there came a point in progressive enlargement where I would see
more native resolution in the image from the smaller sensor. This continued,
as I recall, until somewhere between the 1?-class 20-MPx sensor and the 4 x
6-mm, 12-MPx P&S sensor. Since the smallest sensor, with 12 MPx, is the
equivalent of a small section (1/25) of a FF sensor with 300 MPx, I
concluded that it would take a FF sensor of well over 100 MPx to match the
native resolution of even the zoom on the P&S camera (though, to be fair, I
think where high-end lenses surpass mass-market ones is in the zones well
off-axis, and at wide apertures).

So I?m not surprised that you?re not seeing a difference between the
apo-asph Summicron and the regular version; FF sensors of 24 MPx are simply
not capable of showing even the full resolution of the standard lens, let
alone any improvement on it.

And this brings up the possibilities for dispensing with zooms and
interchangeable lenses altogether for general purposes. If a camera with a
fixed WA lens had a FF 200-MPx sensor and a digital zoom function, and an
EVF, it would have the same capabilities as a big FF DSLR with a 24-120
zoom?even with a linear 1/5 crop, equivalent to a 5x zoom, it would still
give an 8-MPx image file, quite adequate for most purposes. Think Leica Q
with a denser sensor and a zoom lever.

?howard