Subject: [Leica] IMG: Diving ducks
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 04:01:13 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Yesterday (December 22) I visited the American River at the nearby fish
hatchery.  Outflow from the hatchery's spawning operations flows into the
American River and often contains fish scraps, drawing numerous birds to the
spot.

The outflow is located at river level while the hatchery itself is on the
bluffs about 50' above the river.  From river level to the top of the bluff
the bank is protected from erosion by rirap, large blocks stone and
concrete.  Access to river level is by clambering down the riprap, wet from
recent rains, while loaded with camera, tripod, blind and a comfy seat.
(Note to self: find a better way to tie the tripod to the backpack.)

The blind I used is little more than a 6' x 6' piece of camo bug screen
which has a separating zipper added to one edge so that I can enclose the
bird-visible side with a hole for the lens to protrude.  Remarkably
effective.  Unlike the previous day (cold and rainy) I didn't have to use
gloves so I was quite pleased with the camera's handling.

The vast majority of the birds drawn to the hatchery's outflow are Common
Goldeneye, a diving duck that eats aquatic invertebrates, small fish and
vegetation.

The adult male Common Goldeneye's striking black-and-white plumage is
unmistakable, as is its distinctive head shape:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/bucephala/cogold12.html

the female's coloration is less striking but her golden eye is clearly
visible.  Also notice the sloped forehead and head shape, which I'll get
back to later:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/bucephala/cogold14.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/bucephala/cogold13.html

The immature male Common Goldeneye has a brown head instead of the
iridescent green-black of the adult but the white cheek spot separates this
bird from the female:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/bucephala/cogold15.html

Slightly less common than the Common Goldeneye is the Common Merganser:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/mergus/comerg21.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/mergus/comerg22.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/mergus/comerg23.html

Less frequently seen is the Barrow's Goldeneye.  It's easy to overlook among
the dozens of Common Goldeneyes but notice the male's cheek crescent instead
of a round spot, the less rounded head shape, shorter bill and steeper
forehead.  The male's head tends to be more iridescent purple-black instead
of the Common Goldeneye's green-black:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/bucephala/bagold02.html

All photos: Sony a7II, Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L, tripod & blind.  All comments
welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com