Subject: [Leica] New Photos: Mounted Shooting
From: leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 18:42:55 -0800

Yes Leo, very good shots.

And to answer the questions from Douglas, what they are shooting at is
balloons tied to a stick.
The game is Cowboy Mounted Shooting.
http://www.cmsaevents.com/home/
A course is laid out in the arena for the horse and rider to follow.
It is a timed event from start to finish, and there is a 5 second
penalty for each missed balloon, a 5 second penalty for dropping a gun,
a 10 second penalty for not running the course correctly and a 60 second
penalty for falling off your horse.

They use real firearms. Black Powder blanks (no bullet) are used, and it
is the burning embers of the black powder that pops the balloons. You
see that in some of Leo's shots.
Most of the competitions are done with two revolvers, for a total of 10
shots. Occasionally a side by side shotgun and / or lever action rifle
is carried and used.

I do a similar game, shooting at steel targets with real bullets and
without the horses.

Jay

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] New Photos: Mounted Shooting)
Message from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] New Photos: Mounted Shooting)