Subject: [Leica] Jayanand's rant - modified
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 11:48:46 -0500

        I suspect that many of you have misunderstood my meaning. I am 85
years old. I have lived in 11 different countries for more that one year
each during my career as an international management and marketing
professor. Every single country, without exception, has acted largely in its
own national interest. The news media of each country has reflected this
interest subject to modification of its local politics. In those countries
where newspaper sales are important all have adopted the philosophy ?If it
bleeds, it leads.??
        I am not talking about the New York Times, the Manchester Guardian,
or the Times of India. But pick almost any tabloid paper off the stands for
a full menu of sex, gore, and injustice. The same is true of TV. Sex and
injustice sells. Even the respected BBC has its share of scandal.
        Don?t misjudge a country by what you see in the popular media.
Especially the USA. Times change. Mores change. What was permissible
behavior half a century ago is no longer permissible today. Sometimes that?s
good, sometimes bad. Slavery and female degradation was the norm in the US
150 years ago. It?s still the norm in large parts of the world. Economic
stratification is a problem worldwide. Many?people believe that
the?different values of immigrants, whether.Syrians, Mexicans, or
Pakistanis, are a threat to their own society. Maybe they are, Germans,
Swedes, and Brits certainly think so.?Experience the situation first hand
before you make a knee jerk judgment. You may be surprised at what you find.
I prefer to think the best of everyone. It makes my life more pleasant and
my feeling are usually reciprocated

Larry Z