Subject: [Leica] Hong Kong panos and stories
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 21:55:30 -0000

Really excellent panos Howard, and a suitable paen of praise to Modernist
architecture. I've never been there but HK seems a lot different to what my
father described. He turned down a commission in the HK police many, many
moons ago. On David Tang, I enjoy his amusing weekly column on etiquette and
modern manners in the FT Weekend which you may be familiar with.

My only experience of the experience that HK gives the returning ex-pats who
lived there, was the bling factor. Just a few doors down the road from my
parent's home lived Lilian with her husband Sean Mackey who was very
involved with the HK Jockey Club. Lilian was a fan of bling. When you went
into the house the individual risers on the staircase were each embellished
with a different colour glass. Astonishingly to me, who had wended his way
to manhood through the muted murky palette of the Irish landscape, at the
flick of a switch, all the panels lit up, and one was transported to a
strange meld of Busby Berkeley and Suzie Wong.

On skyscrapers, Sean Mackey was also a professor of Engineering in Hong Kong
and did major research on wind effects on tall buildings, and was involved
with the new airport there  Stretching connections, on the film theme,
Lilian & Sean's grandson inadvertantly gave current Oscar nominee Lenny
Abrahamson (Room) a leg up in his career through What Richard Did.

Douglas