Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Tests with MM and M246
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 20:35:01 -0500

Can anyone explain how Lightroom reports an aperture for images made with M
cameras, which don?t have a way to report their aperture setting to the
camera? All the camera knows is what the lens?s maximum aperture is, as
reported by the 6-bit code or manually.

I just ran off a series of images with a coded 24/2.8, one at each usual
stop from 2.8 to 16. LR reports the apertures as 2.8, 3.4, 4.8, 6.8, 9.5,
and 13. The aperture could be inferred from the integrated light intensity,
but only if the camera knows the intensity of the illumination of the
subject, which of course it doesn?t. I?m puzzled not only by the fact that
LR reports an aperture setting, which the camera has no means of knowing,
but even more by the fact that the values are different for each exposure,
increasing continuously in the right direction, and most of all by the fact
that the values are, as Tina says, in the ball park. And the Mac?s Preview
app reports an Aperture Value, which for the same sequence of images also
increases correctly, but ranges from 2.97 to 7.4.

With a non-coded 35/1.4 and lens data entered manually, LR reports the
apertures as 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 4.8, 8, 9.5, and then drops to 4 for f/22.
Preview does much the same thing but less accurately, reporting a
progression from 0.97 to 6.5, but then dropping to 6 for f/22.

With the same non-coded lens, but the lens data manually entered incorrectly
as 90/2, LR gave the apertures as 2, 2, 2.8, 4.8, 5.6, 8, 9.5, and 4.
Preview gave them as 2, 2, 2.97, 4.5, 4.96, 6, 6.49, 4.

I am completely baffled. Anyone have an answer? How do the programs derive a
value for f/stop? Since LR and Preview report different apertures for the
same exposure, it can?t be just information supplied by the camera. The
camera knows what the maximum aperture of each lens is, but what, the camera
or the program, or both, decides that a lens is set to that, or to anything
smaller?

?howard

Replies: Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] IMGS: Tests with MM and M246 - Howard)
Reply from boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein) ([Leica] IMGS: Tests with MM and M246)