Subject: [Leica] PESO 02 14 16
From: jshulman at judgecrater.com (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:40:20 -0500

Thanks!

Interesting story behind the picture (and many others I'm scanning now).
Philadelphia's Love Park, so named for the Robert Indiana "LOVE" sculpture
at the top of the park, is a legacy of 1960s urban improvement--a
collection of concrete benches and stairs, surrounding a center fountain.
Evidently it's also a mecca for skateboarders, who for the past several
decades have played a cat-and-mouse game with the local cops, who chase
them away (evidently skateboards are quite destructive to concrete).

The park's slated to be demolished, starting tomorrow, and replaced with
something that's more in tune with 21st century sensibilities, including
more grass and less brutalist concrete.  For the past four days the park's
been open to all skateboarders; today, the last day, the place was packed
with enthusiasts who had come from as far away as California and Oregon,
on short notice (the announcement for the free-for-all was only made this
past Wednesday).

Today was the least awful of the past several days, with temperatures that
were at best in the low teens.  At least today there wasn't much wind;
yesterday the wind chill put the effective temperature in the negatives.

As it was I could only take about 90 minutes of shooting, even with the
complimentary hot coffee from La Colombe.  My winding thumb is still a
little numb; my M3 was starting to act very, very cranky--even with a
Krauter CLA eight years ago the lubricants were not exactly thrilled to be
out in the frigid air!

However, in spite of the cold this was a once-in-a-lifetime event, so I
had to be there.