Subject: [Leica] IMG: Repair of WWII Concrete
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 14:19:51 -0600

I took a walk in the sunshine today at the local airport.  Felt good!

This airport was built during WWII as an US Army Air Force training base
for B-24s, hence the concrete was very thick to withstand the wheel
loads.  While much of it has held up well, places that received a lot of
traffic have developed cracks.  A contractor has been hired to cut out
these broken areas and replace them with new concrete.  ( It is
interesting to me that, while concrete made today in our area uses
crushed limestone as the aggregate, I have seen areas of the original
pours that used creek gravel, including a few mussel shells, as the
aggregate.)

This image gives an idea of the thickness of the original concrete.
  http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Thick+Concrete+3162.tif.html

To tie the new to the old, the old concrete is drilled and rebar is
installed.
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Drilling+for+Rebar+3163.tif.html

About half of this section has been replaced, as the crews work with
manageable pour sections.
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Working+Concrete+3157.tif.html

The rotating mixer drum must be washed out after each pour.
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Wash+Job+3161.tif.html

And then, the truck heads back to the plant for another load. Multiple
trucks were in use, to keep the job moving at a workable pace.
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Going+to+Reload+3165.tif.html

Fuji X-E1 with Fujinon 35/2.0

Comments and critiques welcomed.

--