Subject: [Leica] Spam (8.398):Re: Babbage Difference Engine Funeral
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:43:59 -0800

That,s also the opinion of a lawyer friend of mine, except I have a feeling
that he never sees gray, only black of white. The impression I got, fairly
strongly, is that IV buys up patents in order to license them exclusively to
firms that are doing things that Myhrvold feels are in the public good.
Also, this guy is so rocking in money that it is obvious he can?t be doing
it to make more.

Another point is that the man to whom I spoke at length, Mike, the head of
IV's instrumentation shop, told me that IV works very closely with the Bill
Gates Foundation. Despite this, IV has sued Microsoft for patent
infringement. Finally, another ex lawyer friend told me that if you don?t
pursue infringers, you can lose your exclusive rights to a patent you hold.

Herb

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org

Question Authority and the authorities will question you.