Subject: [Leica] A DOUBLE DECISIVE MOMENT ONCE IN A LIFE TIME!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 21:06:52 -0700

For those interested in the story behind a photograph?
My assignment was to shoot a birthing series, as a baby was born!
Yeah I bet close to a 100% of you folks would have a fit, as I did. Oh I had
lots of time in OR's with children being looked after due to an accident,
piles of adults "under-the-knife" for all kinds of things. You name it I've
probably  documented it. :-)
But never a birthing?? Oh jeeeeeeeeeeeeesshhhhh!
My own children were all born by then, so no home grown help here. :-(
So I went to the GRACE Hosp. where a number are born. A few discussions with
medical folks (fortunately they knew of my medical assignments (no problem
there. )

Talked to a few about to be mom's "OK cool with them." all I had to do was
get to the hospital before they "POPPED" their bambino! COOL! I'm set to go
just wait for hospital call.. Phone rings! . "OK She's in labour!"  It's 2
a.m! My gear is by the door, it's grab and go to hospital in minutes.
OOPS! She just had it!  DAMN! Back to bed!
After ten days of this routine I'm ticked off with a couple born only.  :-(
I complained to a doctor buddy and he says? "Hey come to the Civic next
Wednesday morning at 7a.m. and we'll pop a half dozen by noon! "Yea right!"
I respond.  :-(

BUT! He's a winner doc! :-) He's an Obstetrician who triggers women into
birthing for various reasons!
I went away smiling and by Wednesday afternoon I learned more of how to
photograph a birth ("THE CORRECT WAY") than I have during my whole career of
60 plus years.
So here you are how to do this without causing any discomfort for the
"Mother-to-be?" YOURSELF! and the medical people.
1/THERE ARE NO FAMILY PICTURES  AS THE BABY EMERGESES! However? If the
doctor asks you to shoot a situation. "Do so without bitching! BUT THESE ARE
THE DOCTOR'S PICTURES! THEREFORE YOU GIVE ALL OF THEM TO HIM WITHOUT
QUESTION! WHY?
Well hell he got you a half dozen or more birthing's within 5 or 6 hours.
Besides none of his  are family photos. "NO need to explain!" Do I?

OK HERE'S THE PLAN AS SIMPLE AND FAMILY ORIENTED AS CAN BE!"
You stand by the Mother's head and shoot the medical crew doing their thing.
Eventually, the Bambino is in view and you blaze away at all motivating
moments!
MOST IMPORTANT IS JUST AS THE DOCTOR HOLDS THE BABY FOR THE MOTHER TO SEE!!
HE IS ALSO HOLDING THIS BEATIFUL?? LOOKING NEW BORN "RIGHT FOR YOU AND YOUR
CAMERAS!"  click, click, click! Like crazy as they will/should all be
"family photos!"
So there you go and I'm about a 100 birthing's at this time in my life! Stay
cool, be-unobtrusive. And don't faint as one young father did with his
camera as the baby's head began to appear!
Trust me ... "IT ISN'T A PRETTY PICTURE!"
cheers,
Dr. ted  :-)