Subject: [Leica] Friendship
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 15:18:06 -0700

It?s not quite that way, Jim. The smaller cat was purchased from a breeder
as a kitten. He?s now thirteen years old, but still thinks he?s a kitten. He
escaped over a year ago one night (indoor cat only) and managed to get lost
on a street only .1 mile from our street and intersecting it. He turned
feral. No one could approach him. People walking their dogs at 6 am would
spot him?we had voted a notice with his picture on every available light
pole?and we would drive out an call hime to no avail. Finally a lady fed him
on her property, but couldn?t approach him. We rented a ?humane? trap from
the local animal control people, the baited it with cat food and he got
trapped. When we saw him, we were appalled. He had lost half his body weight
and looked like the WW II concentration camp victims.

During the period when he was lost, I adopted the big cat. From appearance,
I?m sure he is close to pure Maine Coon. He must have had a hard life
between a) being found on the streets of San Jose in terrible condition, and
b) being pretty fearful and inhibited. His previous owner must have had some
pretty strict discipline because it was a year before he was willing to be
?bad? and jump on the dinner table. Fortunately, the two cats took an almost
immediate liking to each other. That was an unexpected bonus.

Herb

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org

Question Authority and the authorities will question you.