Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Exploring Urban Colour-Chris
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 02 May 2016 16:38:27 -0500

> On May 2, 2016, at 4:17 PM, Gerry Walden <gerry.walden at icloud.com>
> wrote:
>
> Chris
>
> Thanks for your further comment which I fully understand and thank you
> for. All I am doing is exploring having seen some work I like. I am not
> saying whether it is good or bad, just showing what I am exploring. I do
> think for an urban environment of this type it is valid, but that is just
> an opinion.
>
> Gerry
>
>> On 2 May 2016, at 10:07, Christopher Crawford <chris at
>> chriscrawfordphoto.com> wrote:
>>
>> Gerry,
>>
>> Why recreate old Kodachrome? you?re shooting digital, not film, and
>> Kodachrome is no longer made. Why recreate another artist?s style? You?re
>> a good enough photographer that you don?t need to do that.
>>
>> Lots of people I know online do over processed work like that to try to
>> emulate someone else or materials that are no longer made, and I don?t
>> bother commenting. That?s because their work sucks, and it would suck no
>> matter what style of work they did.
>>
>> I wan?t trying to offend you; on the contrary, I respect your work enough
>> to tell you that I don?t like this particular set of images, and why. You
>> can take it or leave it; this is your work, not mine, so ultimately its
>> your choice how to edit your photos.

I agree with both of you.

Why imitate or mimic the work that attracts your attention?
To learn. People have used the technique for a very long time.
In the visual arts, music, and literature.
Students have always copied the masters;
in search of their own voice, style, sound, etc.

The idea that Gerry, who has his own style, lots of experience, and already
produces strong work,
would decide to explore other directions by pushing into other?s work that
he?s admired,
to see what he may learn, ought be encouraged "up to a point.?

I see Chris?s critique as valid, especially when or if one ?covers" and does
not give credit where due.
Though in this case Gerry gave credit.
And essentially said, ?I?m going to the museum to copy some masters that
i?ve always admired.
I want to see what I may learn from doing so.?

Or at least that?s how I interpret both Gerry and Chris on this work.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog