Subject: [Leica] IMG: NEW Project: Hearts On Our Sleeves
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 15:59:18 -0700

http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/20160521-Scanned-1562.jpg

By the time I was four I knew I was not a girl, but back then, there was no
option to do anything about it. I thought puberty would fix everything, but
then I started having periods. I don't remember anything at all about my
7th grade year because I was completely dissociated.  When I came back to
reality, I resigned myself to being a girl and completely buries any memory
of my true male self.  Over the years, I had a few lesbian lovers, but I
always told them that ?I am not a lesbian?, which, understandably, confused
the heck out of them.

2 years prior to my transition, I saw this painting called "Mermaid
Metamorphosis" by Sheila Wolk in a print store in Vancouver.  For some
reason, I just *had* to have it.  During my years in psychotherapy, I had a
very important dream, I walked up a hill to a mausoleum, and inside was a
slab of stone. Lying on the stone was a four year boy, pale, naked and
lying very still, He had no genitals whatsoever. Then he said, with his
eyes still closed, ?Don't kiss my sex?. In fairy tales, you kiss the
princess to wake her up. So here, ?do not kiss my sex? meant that I must
not wake up my male self and sexuality. The next morning, I knew exactly
what the dream meant. I went to my therapist and told her that I had to
transition. And after answering some searching questions from her, she gave
me her blessing -- which was a requirement for transition at that time.

Reactions to my decision were almost universally greeted with support, if
not outright enthusiasm.  My beloved stepmom said, "That's great!  I've
always wanted a son!"  My partner, Cynthia McQuillin, said, "Oh, good!, I
finally get to meet the man I fell in love with".

I see myself as a twin, Jane and James, joined at birth, and separated when
I was 56.

--  Dr. James Robinson, PhD in Biology with a particular love for
Paleontology

"Hearts On Our Sleeves: Portraits and Stories of Transgender+"
--
// On Facebook: http://facebook.com/richardmanphoto
// On Instagram: https://instagram.com/richardmanphoto

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] IMG: NEW Project: Hearts On Our Sleeves)