Subject: [Leica] Fort Ross State Park
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 15:16:23 -0700

I love this park.  Been there three times, the last two on cloudy days.  The
best time because you can really capture the mood of the northern California
Coast then. It is the site of an old Russian settlement and fort, well
preserved and maintained mostly by volunteers of the Fort Ross Society, with
a little help from the state of California.

Here is a collection of 14 photos from the fort and one just north of the
fort.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s6/nc/fr/

I?ll point out a few:
There was a group of school children there for a field trip.  They were
decked out on period garb and were doing tasks that people would have done
in the fort.  I got there just as they were finishing up, so only got to see
a few of the marching about as they were returning their arms to the armory.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s6/nc/fr/Fort+Ross++-9029.jpg.html

This shows the setting of the fort in the low hills along the coast.  The
building is the chapel, which is still used from time to time.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s6/nc/fr/Fort+Ross++-9040.jpg.html
Interior:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s6/nc/fr/Fort+Ross++-9058.jpg.html

The buildings have exhibits of period implements that are similar to what
was probably at the fort.  Most are static exhibits, but some are used at
various times, like the armory.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s6/nc/fr/Fort+Ross++-9043.jpg.html

Just to the south is the Russian cemetery with many crosses still visible.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s6/nc/fr/Fort+Ross++-9089.jpg.html

There is a large Russian community still in the area that supports and helps
out at the fort, and the docent was explaining how even the Russian Embassy
in San Francisco is active in preserving the history of this Russian
outpost.

We were camping north of the park, and on our way down to the park there
were three people sitting on a porch outside a store by a little cove.  I
had said I had wished I had stopped to take their photo.  Well, many hours
later on our return to the campground they were still there with friend.
So, I did stop and earned a bit about the history of the store and the
pirate who robbed it way back when.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s6/nc/fr/Ocean+Cove+Store-9093.jpg.html

Comments welcome.  View them large if you can.

Aram

Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

would ever have dared dream.? James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Fort Ross State Park)
Reply from lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (lluisripollphotography) ([Leica] Fort Ross State Park)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Fort Ross State Park)