Subject: [Leica] Absence
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 02:02:42 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Happy birthday...good to hear you're on the mend.

Montie

>> You can say that I?ve been on medical leave from LUG.

First, an oncologist, on a routine visit, noticed an inflammation on my left
leg. To my amazement, an exam table being in the room, she and her assistant
got down on the floor and with fiber-points, drew a circle around my leg a
bit above my ankle, prescribed an anti-biotic, and told me that if the
redness got above that line, I should see my primary care doc about
intra-venous anti-biotic.

My doctor being on vacation, I saw two other doctors in the next week. Each
one modified the oral anti-biotic. When my doctor returned, she instantly
sent me to the emergency room (ugh?the only quick way to get into Stanford
Hospital) and I got intra-venous anti-biotic over night. By noon the next
day, they decided it wasn?t an infection after all, but states dermatitis,
and discharged me with treatment info.,

I think that treatment triggered overt congestive heart failure. I just am
reluctant to believe in coincidences, and there4 was another non-trivial
event that makes me believe that. My hemoglobin the night I entered the
hospital for the anti-biotic was 12.8 and the day I left it was 10.8!
Anyway, the symptom the following week was such extreme shortness of breath
the walking from one room to another left me panting. I did not have the
brains to be frightened, because in the course of the day, this gradually
went away to the extent that by afternoon I was happy to walk up and down my
driveway picking blue-berries from five bushes. Luckily, by the end of the
week, I realized I must be in serious trouble, phoned my doctor, and got
admitted to a cardiac unit at the hospital, where I spent a week before they
sent me home. I had required oxygen at the hospital and they arranged for
home installation, so shortly after I returned home, fifty feet of hose
attached to a magic machine the sucks in air and puts out 92% oxygen was
installed. All that hose so that I could walk to any room. And some small
oxygen tanks for when I had to leave the house for a medical appointment.

All a waste! In two days, using my own pulse-oximeter, I established that I
no longer needed oxygen?this agreed to by the visiting nurse. I?m pretty
sure that between one an two weeks from now, I?ll be functioning normally
and be out taking pictures with my M.

I see tantalizing discussion of a new LR release. I was just too cheap to
subscribe to LR and just bought the LR6 upgrade. Then I got annoyed with
continued failure to format decently a 4x6 print with their print module,
and back-tracked to LR5?it seemed to me that the non-subscription LR6 at the
time had no significant feature for me beyond those of LR5. I will now
follow the discussion on the LUG of LR features. If they sound like stuff I
would want, I?ll subscribe. Hell, I can afford it?I just have been offended
by Adobe?s money grabbing tactics.

Herb

P.S. I turned 94 today.