Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Farm Stay & RAISENS!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 09:03:20 -0700

Tina OFFERED:
>>>The area around Shiraz was famous for their Syrah grapes and the wine
made
from them.  Now they still grow the grapes but they make raisins.<<<<<<<<<<<

But Tina that is nearly as good as wine?  WHY?
Well for a great number of years when I covered long term assignments,
primarily Olympics. I packed a large bag of Thompson Black Raisins in my
suitcase. So I could have a smaller bag in my shoulder bag or photo vest to
eat as days became longer waiting on the athletes to compete. :-)
After a number of years photogs learned I always had a bag, say at a
swimming event and would ask me for some? I'd pass the bag of "black sweet
raisins" and usually get it back with but a few in the bag. Lesson learned?
I carried a bag for me & a bag for them. When theirs became empty? PITY!:-)
One of life's learning moments as an international travelling
photojournalist!  :-)  :-) :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted Grant  OC

Tina

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:42 AM, Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>
wrote:

> Nice landscapes and people. The place strikes me as potentially good wine
> country. Of course, the Islamists would not allow this.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
> Alicante, Spain
> http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>
> YNWA

> > On 20 Jun 2016, at 16:18, Tina Manley <tmanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > PESO:
> >
> > I finally finished all of the photos from our farm stay between Yazd and
> > Shiraz:

http://tinamanley.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Iran/G0000YmlbTddL96g/I0000
ETzumJqQvnk

> > and hit next for 110 more photos!  You can go through the bread-making
> > really fast - almost a video! This was a very nice extended family.  The
> > patriarch has a large farm, all irrigated with many fruit trees and beef
> > cattle that are zero-grazed.  He and his wife have 5 grown kids and many
> > grandkids.  Two of the grown kids graduated from the University of
Tehran
> > with degrees in tourism and their dream is to run a caravanserai-type
> hotel
> > for tourists on the farm.  Many people travel to this part of Iran to
> stay
> > with nomads in the desert but there aren't many actual nomads left so
> Hamid
> > and his sister Yasmin want to re-create the experience of staying with
> > nomads but on their farm.  It was interesting!!  All members of the
> family
> > helped with the cooking and entertaining of their only three visitors -
> > Hossein, Tom and me!
> >
> > C&C greatly appreciated.
> >
> > On to Shiraz...
> >
> > Tina