Subject: [Leica] Trans-Siberian Express
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 14:19:15 +0100

Don't forget that the train has been runnning for a long time. The
Russians - and before them the Soviets - are well accustomed to dealing
with the extreme cold.

Dress for quite a bit colder than Chicago (the part of the world that
you will be travelling sees some of the most extreme weather on the planet).

Contrary to rumours vodka and extreme cold do not mix. Its one of the
quickest ways to render yourself vulnerable to exposure and hypotermia
should you happen to get could out in the cold.

Russian trains are traditionally supplied with samovars to supply a
never-ending stream of hot tea.

Beware of officious officials (!!) Russian railways are one of the last
strongholds of the soviet apparatchik.

...No I haven't done the journey but I know someone who did, albeit a
few years ago, and things may have improved since then.

Peter