Subject: [Leica] Jimmie Walker
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 00:37:01 +0100

He must have access to, or own, a fairly stonking telescope! He'll be now,
no doubt, buying a bigger one! These are very very impressive.

Mind you, astronomy has always allowed the gifted amateur to make an
impression. Here in Ireland, we had the Birr Leviathan or the Leviathan of
Parsonstown which was the largest telescope in the world from 1845 until
1917. It was built by the Earl of Rosse - one of the Parsons family - on his
family estate in Co. Offaly. The Parsons were a very talented family as the
Earl's son Charles Parsons invented the steam turbine - see Turbinia - and
his mother, the Earl's wife Mary Rosse, was a very talented pioneer
photographer. Apparently she was introduced to it through someone you may
have heard of - the Earl's pal William Fox Talbot. Good street cred there
:-)

There's a closer connection to me in that the Earl died about 250 metres
from here in Monkstown.

Douglas