Subject: [Leica] Draconian "Release"
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 17:52:21 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

A brave new photo world...I read stuff like this and then thank God I'm
retired.  Your work, your copyright...I would have done the same, good
on you!  I suppose some young fledgling might want to published a photo so
bad they'd be willing to relinquish all rights to it...can't picture it
personally (pun intended).  :-)

Montie

>>LUG -

I'm sure you've heard more than enough about the Syrian refugee project but
I've run into a problem and would like your opinion.

The local newspaper The Herald - which has been bought out by McClatchy,
along with every other newspaper around - asked for some of my photos to
illustrate an article about the project.  I sent them several photos two
weeks ago with permission to use them in the newspaper and on their website
with a copyright notice.  I didn't hear anything for two weeks.  Today I
got an e-mail saying that they could not use the photos with a copyright
notice and if I gave them permission to use them without the copyright
notice, I would also have to sign a release giving the Herald "an
irrevocable, royalty-free license to publish, republish, resell,
distribute, copy and edit the submission an unlimited number of times in
any print, electronic or other medium."

I explained to them that I could never sign a release that gives away all
rights to my photos - that it would not be fair to me or the subjects of my
photos.  I explained that I never lease photos as royalty-free and that any
royalty-free photo that featured an identifiable person would have to have
a model-release signed by that person.  All of my photos are rights managed
for editorial use only.

I told them they were welcome to use the photos with a copyright notice.
Now I have to explain to the committee why the photos won't be in the
Herald :-(

What do you think?

Tina

Replies: Reply from dennis.leicam6 at gmail.com (Dennis Kushner) ([Leica] Draconian "Release")