Subject: [Leica] SL Lens Choices
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 12:51:20 -0700

HEY CREW! LENS STORY TIME!:-)  280MM
I'm on assignment in Halifax, Canada.
Coverage of the big ships sailing in and out of the famous Halifax Harbour
that had been completely destroyed by a huge explosion during WW1!!
Now it's in the '70's and the ship traffic is something else from pleasure
craft to military and freighters of every description and it's a beautiful
summer time.
And I'm I'll equipped! "NO LONG GLASS!"
Back to shore, on the phone to my home town photo store, a LEICA dealer!
ME! "Hey you guys still have that Leica 280 2.8?"
"Yeah." The response I most wanted to hear!  "Ok pack it up with the 1:4 and
2x times extenders and ship it over night to me in Halifax."  Next morning
pick it up. Pop 280mm. on the SL look out over harbour! Amazing. Then 280
lens & 1:4 extender on camera, beyond awesome 800mm view!
WOW! What a rig that was! :-)
Looking through camera view finder all clicked together the view was, "OUT
OF THIS WORLD!"  It was an 800mm rig! f.8.0
Images on "KODACROME WERE BEAUTIFULLY UNBELIEVABLE!
I'm home a week later. I phone LEICA CANADA techies in Toronto asking?
"If I lock the two extenders and lens together will it cause any damage?"
Notice I didn't ask about the image quality because I had already seen
fantastic 800mm Kodachrome's!
His almost panic voice respond? "OH never never do that, as it isn't good
for the lens! We absolutely don't recommend it!"      Me?  smart ass
response?  :-)
"OOPS! Maybe you guys should try it sometime and see what fantastic images
can be captured!"  CLICK!
He hung-up!  :-) Hell I used that combination and variations covering
Olympics and many other assignments when  requiring a reach with long glass!
Or a very cool different looking image. :-)
Just thought you might like to know about the 280mm lens and extenders.
cheers,
Dr. ted  :-)