Subject: [Leica] IMG: Telescope - Leviathan builder
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 02:18:24 +0100

With today's testing of the largest telescope in the world in China, I took
a walk to a house around the corner where noted Irish astronomer William
Parsons - the third Earl of Rosse - died. He came to Monkstown's sea air for
his health, and lived here at No. 1 Eaton Place for a few years until he
died. Parsons' wife Mary Rosse - the mother of his thirteen children - found
the time to be an eminent pioneer photographer, as well as being, of all
things, an excellent blacksmith.

Parsons is known for the making of the Leviathan of Parsonstown which was
the largest telescope in the world for seventy two years from 1845.
Amazingly enough for the time, his wife Mary - the amateur blacksmith - did
much of the metalwork for the huge telescope. Parsonstown has now reverted
to its Irish name of Birr, but its castle and telescope still attract many
visitors.

Parsons' son Charles was also a genius, and, with the sea at his young feet
in Monkstown, he developed an interest in all things marine. He invented the
steam turbine which powered his private yacht Turbinia at great speed, and
he famously upstaged the Royal Navy in the 1890s, effectively causing a
complete redesign of the British fleet.

Since I've moved to Monkstown, I've been waiting for my own flashes of
genius. Still waiting....

This is the plaque on the house
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Monkstown/Parsons.jpg.html
Fuji X100S
See Large

Wikipedia has a lot of stuff on Parsons.

Douglas

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] IMG: Telescope - Leviathan builder)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Telescope - Leviathan builder)