Subject: [Leica] OT: Web site host
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 00:18:17 -0700

LUG and Olympus friends:  A quick query to the groups' collective
wisdom. I am going to change my ISP soon so I can get faster Internet.
I've been hobbling along on a 1.5 Mbps DSL.  Century Link can only
upgrade me to 3 Mbps, and has no immediatel plans for fiber in my
neighborhood.  Comcast can offer me 25 Mbps,

After I make the change, I will lose my long-time email address and Web
site host. Flickr and the LUG Gallery are fine for my photos. But I'll
need a new host for my musical Web site.  Also, I need to decide if I
should revert to my gmail address (which I now just use for lists), or
pick up a new address tied to my domain name. One thing I do *not* want
to do is host my own site or email on a computer at home, or get into
the security business. Nor do I want every email I write to turn into
targeted ads--Google claims they don't do that, but I am not sure I
believe them.

So, might I ask for recommendations for a Web host?  And what are
opinions about using gmail vs. getting an address tied to my domain?
Some of the Web providers include a couple of email addresses in their
packages.

I asked this question 4 years ago, and then did nothing about it. A lot
happens in 4 years, so hings change, so I thought I'd ask again.

Thanks!
--Peter

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] OT: Web site host)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] OT: Web site host)