Subject: [Leica] My M9 is back. Firmware 1.204
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:03:06 -0700

sensor glass cover plate, the item that came loose on my camera.  The sensor
is fine, it is the cover glass ( actually the seal) that went bad on my
camera.  The cheapest way to fix it ( Leica perspective) was not to replace
the entire sensor, but just re-glue the cover glass back on.... which, in my
case, made more sense to replace the old corrosion possible to the new,
non-corrosion glass plate.  That fixes 2 problems.. the loose glass plate
and the possible corrosion of the old glass cover plate in my camera, which
if they had used and it went south, would have forced them to do the work
over, again for free....

The new cover glass is using the 1.204 ( new, not available the general
public on the Leica support sites) firmware.

I have V1.204 FW, so the new glass plate was used.  This is pretty assured.

Does that mean definitely that the entire sensor assembly was not replaced?
No.  There was no need to replace the sensor, it was working fine.  If there
is no mention of the replacement, I am assuming the entire sensor was not
replaced.
Could I be wrong?  Yes.  Proof?  Have no idea how to tell.... And I am not
so sure it makes any difference to me anyway.....

BTW, the camera seems to work really well.. I was worried about RF accuracy,
but preliminary tests say it is accurate, more testing to follow.

Am I happy?  With the repair, YES!!!  With the time it took to do it (or
ship it after repair was complete)?  NO.

What am I going to do about my displeasure?  Use Leica for when it is
necessary, use DAG or Sherry when not.  ( Limit my exposure to bad customer
service.)

Besides, with the exception of a used M240 or similar in a few years when
the prices drop, hopefully like a lead balloon, it is doubtful I will ever
own another Digi-M. I can not afford them.

Note: My son's M9 is still available to me, should I want it.... so I still
have an additional M9 in my back pocket.  Plus an A7 that I am working with
to see if it offers a better and higher resolution solution.... for me....
24MP is an improvement.... 42MP would be a bigger improvement....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net