Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Friday's flora, fungi and old stuff
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 11:00:45 -0500

> On Oct 28, 2016, at 8:01 PM, Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> The pen really appeals to me, as I am also one of those Luddites who still
> uses fountain pens on a daily basis. My taste runs to the Japanese ones
> though, which, like everything they do, are beautifully made, intricately
> detailed and with more than a dozen nib choices.....
> Cheers
> Jayanand
>
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:17 PM, George Lottermoser <
> george.imagist at icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> C & C always welcome and appreciated
>>
>> <http://www.imagist.com/blog/?p=11493>

The pen that sits in my daily journal pen loop
is a Pilot Custom 743 with a 14K FA nib.
That?s as close as any ?modern? pen comes to a ?flexible? nib.
And it?s still quite stiff; allowing for very little line variation; and
only with a lot of pressure.

Some of the turn of the century through the 30s nibs allowed for far greater
line variation with far less pressure.
This may interest you and others
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hq6vjc04mI>

Fully restored vintage, full flex to ?wet noodle' fountain pens run $250 -
on up to $700.
Well out of my ?old man budget.?

So when I came across the vintage Settles for $20 - though in need of tender
loving restoration; as well as a cap; I was delighted. I waited for
delivery; full of anticipation; wondering if it would have any reasonable
?flex.? When it arrived the first thing I did was tested the tines. And low
and behold - beautiful flex. The nib has spent a day soaking in the
ultrasonic pen cleaner. So I?m quite excited to get it fixed up and filled
with ink.

I?ve also done some custom installation of Japanese flex steel dip pen nibs
into cheap Chinese fountain pen bodies. They?re definitely fun to draw with,
though quite scratchy compared to a fine fountain pen nib.

fond regards,

George

http://www.imagist.com/blog
http://www.imagist.com