Subject: [Leica] OT: Protecting my email from spammers
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 11:28:41 -0500

Peter,

I am not particularly an expert at anything but I am opinionated on many
things. :)

Re: #1 - I?ve read somewhere that spammers can figure out lightly obfuscated
email addresses. Whether they will or not depends on their business model.

Re: #2 - I doubt if the bad guys will use OCR. The cost of OCR (and figure
out when to use OCR) likely exceed the commercial value of your email
address.

Re: #3 - I run my own spam filter (fairly stock spamassassin) on my own mail
server as well as use other email service.  Spam filtering reduces my spam
count from a few thousand a day to maybe 50/day. My mail program has it?s
own spam filter which takes pretty well care of the rest. This is for email
addresses like this one which has been on the ?Net for about 20 years. If
you are using gmail, Google takes care of spam filtering.

There is a wave of new style of spams (getting harder and harder to spot)
which has been active for the last few months that address you by 1st name
and pretends to be money related. The attachment seems always to be a ZIP
file.

Never click on attachments or those shortened URL even from people you know
or companies (especially if you are using Windows and even if you are not!).
When in doubt, phone and ask.

Anti-virus programs are of marginal use since like most armies, they are
ready to refight the last war, not ready to fight the next war. Better than
nothing perhaps but they offer a false sense of security.

Regards,
Spencer