Subject: [Leica] Cameraquest claim re. Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 Heliar IV M mount
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 00:06:29 -0500

We know always think of the best glass as fast glass - they cost more and
tended to be more used by pro?s but as Franks says it just isn?t so. It?s
way easier and more obvious make a slow lens sharp. People don?t know that.
They assume the opposite.
When they add extra speed to an optical formula it creates all kinds of
problems for the designer (one gets from one?s readings.)
If we are talking specifically about Leica glass made for Rangefinder, then
we have a unique advantage in the otherwise ground glass shooting world to
not have a dimmer view of trying to look though the thing. The frame lines
and what?s in them are just as bright and snap in and out of focus just as
fast with a thimble sized f 4.5 as with a honking f 1.4. So, a slow lens
option in the Leica catalog is not just a cheap way out. It?s also about
compactness and light weight and if we are shooting digital we?re still
going to get those night shots capturing action and getting depth of field.
So, it?s all good. Also, sharper and less ?flare? with the outer element
tiny and not picking up a bunch of non-wanted light.
I?d get a slow optics even they cost more. It?s all about quality not the
opposite.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

On 2/16/17, 5:44 AM, "LUG on behalf of Frank Dernie"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com> wrote:

    I have one of the originals which came on a green body I failed to
resist. It is indeed super sharp but is only f3.5, so much easier to make
sharp from an optical design pov.
    I know nowadays with modern computer analysis tools fast lenses which
are amazingly sharp are available, but I am old enough to have come from the
time when only the slower lenses were sharpest, and the fast ones were known
to have compromised speed for sharpness!
    I have had an apo Summicron on my camera and shot a few frames in dark
conditions where camera shake made much more difference to sharpness than
lens quality.
    Frankly with modern digital cameras having splendid light sensitivity
this would be a superb choice if DoF effect isn?t the deciding factor.
    I?m going to get mine out again and give it another go - I have far too
many 50s to use them all.
    cheers,
    Frank D.