Subject: [Leica] IMG: Test shot with Sony
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 13:21:23 -0800

< .. puzzled why the well-regarded Zeiss 35/2 from the RX1 isn?t offered in
an E-mount equivalent ...

I assume it's because the RX1 was engineered as a singe package from the
sensor up through that specific lens.  So perhaps there are design reasons
that it will not work with the a7 series.

I might add that early on with the RX1 line I thought the tests looked good
enough to go with it as my light carry.  I bought one, tested it, and sent
it back.  It did not perform as well as I expected from the tests.  I might
have been using the M9 with the compact Biogon 35 at the time.  It may have
used one of those early anti-aliasing filters over the sensor at the time.

Frankly, the OEM Zony 35mm f/2.8 is so outstanding that I'm not sure there
is a 35mm f/2 for the mount that can touch it at 2.8 down.  I hope that
Zeiss comes out with a Loxia ASPH category for the 35mm f/2.  By today's
standards, no non-ASPH is going to cut it.

BTW, I went with the Kolarivision thin astro filter on my Sony a7r1.  It's
not quite as thin as the M9 sensor cover, but the thinner glass really does
make the legacy M optics do better.  I just fine tuned the 50mm ZM f/2 and
at f/4 it may be the best 50mm I've used; definitely in the huge
enlargement capable category.  (The 50 ZM shows some smear at the corners
with the OEM thickness Sony cover glass.)  With the thin astro glass sensor
cover, the 50 ZM beats the Zony 55mm f/1.8.  Sadly, my Zony 55, which is
supposed to be a super lens, shows decentering.   (I'm not sure it did when
new.  I wonder how robust all that AF mount mechanism is.)

Has anyone ever found a direct comparison of (1) a Sony a7r2 with the
Kolarivision thin filter conversion for the M legacy lenses to (2) the
current M line cameras, using a good 35mm or other wide angle M lens?

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com